Thursday, January 31, 2008

Why I prefer to go grocery shopping alone

So, Derek had gone to his brother, the dentist to get his teeth looked at and I needed to go to the grocery store. I figured that since I just needed to pick up some dog food and diapers that it should be fairly quick and that taking Cali and Sawyer (Soren was at a friends house) should not be that hard.
On the way there Cali asked if she could get a donut. I, being the kind mother I am said yes she could. We walk into Albertsons and Cali begs me to get the cart that has the extended seats in it. I hate that cart, it is sooo long and not manueverable at all, anyway, I am a sucker so I say fine climb in. I buckle Sawyer into the baby seat at the front and off we go. about 1 minute into the store Sawyer starts to cry, really hard. This is pretty unusual so I go over to see what is wrong and I notice that he had pulled his leg out of the opening and had somehow jammed his foot into a side slot. His foot is in there so tight that I cannot move it up or down or side to side. I have no idea how he did this. Anyway, he is screaming louder and louder, a nice lady tries to help but his foot is not budging. Finally I get an idea to get some vegatable oil and put it in his leg. Of course the vegetable oil is on the other side of the store.
So, off go holding onto Sawyer who is screaming bloody murder, I am trying to manuver that stupid cart, because I am now on the side and as we go on our way to get the vegetable oil.... we pass the donuts. "Mom what about my donut" asked Cali. " "in a sceond" I reply. Apperantly this was not the answer Cali was looking for because she then proceeded to start screaming. So, now I am careening down the aisle in a barely controled shopping cart with a screaming baby and a 3 year old who is pitching a fit.
Finally I get to the baking aisle and grab the oil. I smear it all over Sawyer's foot and leg and voila! out it pops. I spin the cart around and race back to the donuts and grab 1 for Cali and 1 for Sawyer. Things calmed down after that but whew!!! I am definetly not going grocery shopping with those two anytime soon.

3 comments:

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Seriously. I got to the store with ONE child, and his freakish skinniness allows him to slip out of the belt holding him into the appropriate seat he is meant to be in and is constantly trying to climbin to the basket so he can ride in there, and though he is unsuccessful the 9 out of 10 times he attempts it, he eventually makes it and people glare at me from the other side of the aisles like I am some sort of irresponsible parent.

Sheesh.

Brianne Skidmore said...

That's the funniest story, I'm sure not at the time, but now, it's funny. So how many dirty looks did you get from childless women. I hate that.

Trevor and Andrea Allen said...

My paragraph just got erased, so although I wrote many hillarious comments I am now so frustrated I refuse to rewrite my comments. Jaden just wanted to tell you she thought the story was funny and was glad to hear at least Soren can still go shopping with his mom.